Monday, October 3, 2016

Me vs. Squirrels

My little garden is coming along pretty well.


The herbs are thriving, and lots of little things are sprouting up here and there.  There's just one problem: The squirrels keep digging holes in random spots and destroying some of the seedlings (especially in the back half of the garden where plants are spaced farther apart).


I researched squirrel deterrents online, and decided to try rubbing a stuffed animal on a neighbor's dog, then leaving it by my garden in hopes that the scent would scare the squirrels away.  I checked my garden the next morning and discovered that the squirrels hadn't found a dog-scented bear the least bit intimidating.  Back to the drawing board.


I then read several posts online saying that citrus peels deter squirrels because they dislike the smell.  I scattered some mandarin orange peels around the garden, and put portions of clear plastic bottles over some of the smaller seedlings to protect them in case the peels didn't work.  Those methods seem to be helping so far.

It's funny how gardening both brings you closer to nature and places you in opposition to it.  I feel closer to nature as I watch seedlings emerge through the soil, nurture their growth, and watch how they mature.  I feel opposition to nature as I struggle to keep the local wildlife from destroying the food I'm trying to grow.  I'm sure my antipathy for caterpillars and squirrels would be even stronger if this garden were a matter of my family's survival, not just a hobby.

No comments: