Monday, April 4, 2016

Conference Bingo and an Art Lesson

We spent a wonderful General Conference weekend at the cabin with Papa, Red Grandma, Aunt Heather, and Jacob.  It was one of the most uplifting General Conferences I can remember, and I especially appreciated Elder Holland's talk at the very end.  Just as I was beginning to wonder how I would hang on to the inspiring messages I heard when the distractions of normal life set in tomorrow, he addressed that very concern and reminded us that God doesn't expect us to become perfect all at once.  He merely asks us to improve one step at a time, and even if we stumble He gives us credit for trying.


Every Conference I try to find ways to make the experience fun and engaging for my kids.  This time I gave them Conference Bingo cards (with a word like "Faith" or "Prayer" in each box), and let them use coins for markers when a speaker said one of their words.  I told the kids they could keep any of the coins on their cards once the session was over.  Joy and Anna got really into it, but Daniel decided he'd rather play board games by himself.  I feel a little guilty about essentially bribing my kids to listen to the prophet and apostles of God, but I see it as a stepping stone toward listening to the talks for their own sake.  If you have another approach that works for your kids, I'd love to hear it.


Between sessions, Papa taught Joy how to draw two-point perspective pictures . . .


. . . while Red Grandma played foosball . . .


. . . and read a few stories.  I love Conference weekend. :)

No comments: