Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Speckled Egg Dyeing

Mom Confession: I loved dyeing Easter eggs as a kid, but now as a mom I'm reluctant to let four munchkins of varying ages and aptitudes near eight cups full of egg dye.  Call me crazy.


Fortunately, earlier this month I saw a simple egg dyeing idea on the cover of a Martha Stewart magazine that used common pantry items (like the ones above) and seemed totally doable, even with young kids.


You put dry food items like beans, rice, or popcorn into paper cups, drizzle them with food coloring . . . 


. . . then add a hard-boiled egg (and a napkin cover in our case, to prevent any spills), and shake as much or as little as you want to create a speckled look.


Some of us shook a little, and others shook a lot.  We all had fun, and I think we'll use the same dyeing method next year.

(P.S. The painted paper egg on the right is courtesy of Anna and her preschool.)

No comments: