Sunday, July 6, 2014

Freedom from Oppression and Red Nail Polish

We celebrated Independence Day at my parents' cabin this weekend.


We ate pancakes for breakfast on the back deck . . .


. . . played the Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game with Aunt Heather . . .


. . . took a ride on Papa's boat . . .


. . . and celebrated Papa and Uncle Rob's birthdays with a rousing rendition of our extended, hodgepodge, off-key birthday song.


Red Grandma and I had painted our toenails red in a little flourish of patriotism, and Anna was so intrigued that she asked me to paint her toes, too.  She's flexing her toes in this picture because she was a rather unnerved by the result. The moment I finished applying the paint, she cried out in dismay, "My TOES are red!"  Um, yes.  Wasn't that what you wanted?  "My TOES are red!"  Yes, aren't they pretty?  Just like Mama's and Grandma's?  "My TOES are red!"  Anna, do you want me to take the paint off?  "Yes!"  So I did.  Pity--her little red toesies looked so cute.

No comments: