Friday, September 16, 2011

Homemade Yogurt

I recently tried making yogurt in my crock pot. It tasted fine but didn't thicken up much, so I did a little research and decided to try making yogurt with a thermos instead.

First I heated two cups of 2% milk in the microwave until it was 180 degrees (it took about 4 minutes), . . .

. . . then I let it cool to 110 degrees (that took about 45 minutes).

I stirred in a couple tablespoons of yogurt (I've heard Stoneyfield is good because it has six different bacteria cultures), . . .

. . . then poured everything into a big thermos (which I previously rinsed with boiling water to heat and sterilize it). The milk has to stay around 110 degrees for over six hours or so for the yogurt culture to do its thing, and I figured an insulated thermos was the easiest way to achieve that.

Sure enough--six hours later the concoction in my thermos was thick and still 106 degrees (sorry you can't see the thermometer--you'll just have to trust me). I poured it into a clean container, then put it in the fridge to chill and thicken up some more overnight. I bet it will taste great with some honey stirred in tomorrow.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Brian has made thermos yogurt a couple of times with great success. We got the idea to try making our own yogurt after a sippy cup of milk turned into yogurt after sitting all night. We figured if it can happen by accident, it can't be that hard. =)

JennyW said...

Ok, that is so cool. I totally want to try this now—we go through so much yogurt! :)