Wednesday, May 18, 2011

More Unconventional Cooking

A friend recently introduced me to Shelf Reliance's freeze-dried foods. Many of their freeze-dried meats, fruits, and veggies store for 25 years, and they taste like the original version (as opposed to, say, canned meats which always taste like some variant of tuna). I was particularly impressed by their powdered milk, which actually tastes like milk instead of some bizarre mutation of it. I've never tried any other powdered milk that I could bear to drink straight, but you'd have thought SR's came direct from the dairy.

I bought a few of their products to try in my own kitchen, using their Crazy Good Chili recipe. I confess I tinkered with it a little bit (I added beans, and since I didn't have the freeze-dried corn or onions I used frozen and dehydrated, respectively), but otherwise the ingredients and seasonings were pretty consistent with the recipe.

The result was very tasty. The meat looked a little odd (like uniform-sized pellets), but the flavor and texture were great, and I definitely plan to try more of their products. Assuming they are as good as the things we tried tonight, I'll buy more to slowly add variety to our food storage. I'm grateful to have found sources of meat, fruit, and veggies that actually taste good, because most canned meats and produce aren't that great, and I probably won't have access to cows, chickens, or a farmer's market in an emergency.

On a different note, I tried making my usual chocolate chip cookie recipe in the solar oven a couple days ago.

The kids agreed the result was even better than the muffins.

1 comment:

Phillip said...

If the people at Shelf Reliance knew about your blog, they'd ask you if they could quote you as a testimonial on their website!

That being said, the chili was quite good. It's curious, though - I think it gets better with age. The day following, it was much better than the night of.