Friday, February 5, 2021

Succulents and a Spiderwort

Through most of December, I kept a potted poinsetta sitting on Susan in our dining room.  I loved having something beautiful and alive on our plain brown table when we weren't using it.  Christmas is long past now, and the poinsetta is looking a bit spent, but I wasn't ready to go back to having a boring table again . . .


. . . until I walked into Trader Joe's today and saw these little guys.  AWWW!  I don't think I'll keep the pink heart past Valentine's Day, but I love these cute little succulents in their shiny, gold pot.


I also bought this little plant for my nightstand.  The photo doesn't do its coloring justice (it's got beautiful, iridescent leaves, streaked with deep purple).  I had no clue what it was, so I Googled "sparkly purple plant" and immediately found a bunch of webpages about my new little friend.  According to this page, my plant is a tradescantia zebrina, commonly known as Wandering Jew.  It's a member of the spiderwort family, so I've decided to call it "Spidey."  The webpage also said it's "very tough and will thrive in almost any conditions indoors."  My kinda plant!

No comments: