Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Bribing My Son to Sled

The kids kicked off 2020 . . .


. . . playing with squishmallows . . .


. . . and a water tornado toy.  Todd likes to get the tornado going, then see how many laps he can run around our staircase before the water in the top bottle runs out.


Later in the day, the kids decided to go "skating" on our snowy front yard.  It's icy enough now that they can get a running start and skid across the ground for a foot or two, but the novelty of that soon wore off, so we decided to take things up a notch . . .


. . . by going sledding.  The girls were eager to go, but the boys weren't.  I tried bribing them with donuts (which usually works), and Todd took the bait, but Daniel didn't.  Daniel eventually revealed that his last experience with sledding was really scary (it was on a very steep hill), so he didn't want to try it again.  I explained that we've since found a great sledding park with some shallow slopes, but he still didn't want to go.  

I was just sure he would enjoy sledding if he gave it another chance on a manageable slope, so . . . I quietly offered him $1 if he would come sled with us.  He gave me a sidelong glance, and asked for $100.  I told him not to push it, and made a counter offer of $5.  He asked for $10, and we shook on it.


As I expected, Daniel had a lot of fun sledding . . . until Joy crashed into him at the bottom of a hill, knocking him flat on the hard, icy snow.  He then insisted that he just wanted to watch for the rest of the time, and I worried he would never come sledding with us again.  Then, just as we were about to leave, he asked for one more turn on a snow tube.  He was smiling when he finished his ride, but he didn't let me off the hook about the donut and $10.

No comments: