Friday, September 20, 2019

I Came, I Saw, I Tried

I visited Daniel and Anna's school this evening.  Every other school district we've lived in called it Back to School Night, but here it's known as Curriculum Night.  And roundabouts are called rotaries.  And Worcester is pronounced "Whoo-stuh."  Just roll with it.


Here's Daniel's desk, with some of his schoolwork, and a quiz about my son (which I think I epicly failed--do you know YOUR child's favorite song???).


I'm sure Daniel won't judge my quiz performance too harshly, since he's not perfect either (I love that little comment at the top of his work-in-progress drawing).


Here's Anna's desk, with her schoolwork and a book she likes. 


I successfully identified her self-portrait among all the others on the classroom wall . . .


. . . and was intrigued to learn that one of her "hopes and dreams" is to "be a good swimmer."  I guess we should revisit swim lessons next summer.


I also loved this quote on one of the kids' classroom walls.  There really is so much more happiness to be found in being principled, generous, and kind than in most things pop culture tends to idolize.  I hope I can help my kids (and myself) remember that.

No comments: