Monday, April 22, 2019

Tennis and the Harbingers of Spring

Back in 2011, I mentioned that I loved Chinese magnolias because they bloom when most other trees are still asleep, and give me hope that spring is just around the corner.  After we moved to Arkansas, I was delighted to discover a few Chinese magnolias blooming in our new town.  When we moved to Massachusetts, though, I wondered if any of those lovely harbingers of spring could thrive this far north.


I'm happy to report that they do!  Of course, they bloom three months later here than they did in Southern California (and two months later than Arkansas), but their beauty is all the more welcome after a long winter, when most other trees are still grey and bare.


Incidentally, this particular magnolia tree grows near the tennis center where Joy has started taking lessons.  All the middle schoolers in her class are better than her at this point (which is a new and humbling experience for Joy the Academic Dynamo), but she's learning a lot and looking forward to lots of tennis matches with Daddy once school is out.

No comments: