Thursday, June 14, 2018

Our Wonderfully Quirky Graduate

Todd and I headed to Thunder Hill Elementary for what feels like the umpteenth time this month to attend our family's first promotion ceremony.


On the way to the multi-purpose room, we passed a wall of self-portraits painted by the soon-to-be graduates.  I wondered which of those smiling faces belonged to Joy.


Then I spotted this one, and immediately knew I had found my thoughtful, skeptical, delightfully quirky daughter.


When the kids filed into the room for their promotion, it was interesting to see what they were wearing.  Some looked like they were dressed for a fifth-grade prom, while others looked like they were dressed for a preppy game of basketball.  As usual, Joy had her own unique look that defies categorization.


I let Todd play with a scientific calculator to keep him content and quiet (wow, our family is so geeky) while the fifth graders sang a song and shared their favorite memories of elementary school.  Joy said she'll always remember her cool teachers. 


When it was time for the kids to parade across the stage and receive their diplomas, I noticed that some families clapped politely while others boisterously cheered for their kids.  I wondered whether Joy would feel loved or mortified if I cheered for her, and I concluded that she would probably feel both, so when it was her turn I shouted, "YEAH, JOY!  WOOOO!!"  It came out about twice as loud as I meant it to, and people laughed, but I'm still glad I cheered for her.  I hope she is, too.


After the ceremony we snapped some pictures with her teachers . . . 


. . . then I treated Joy to lunch at Chick-fil-A, which she enjoyed until she went to the indoor playground and realized she is finally too big (and perhaps too old) to enjoy it.  Growing up has its drawbacks.


The disappointment didn't last long, though, because her inquisitive mind soon found something to experiment with: Do root beer and a peach milkshake taste good together?  What is the optimal ratio of soda to shake?  There's nothing like combining math, dessert, and the scientific method to cheer up a Hendrickson.

No comments: