Thursday, January 11, 2018

Singing, Dancing, and Spelling

Daniel's choir practice started up again tonight after its holiday break. They got right to work singing . . .


. . . and dancing.  Daniel later informed me this was a "royal" dance from England.  It looked to me like something out of a Jane Austen movie.


After his practice, we drove to Thunder Hill to watch Joy compete in the school spelling bee.  She took fourth place out of thirty contestants, then enjoyed some cookies (provided by us parents in the audience).  At first I thought the two finalists were phenomenal spellers because they were rattling off the correct spellings of Kilimanjaro, ichthyosaur, and words I hadn't even heard of.  Then I realized they had just memorized the spelling list the school had sent home, and once the officiator moved on to a new list they couldn't spell simple words like tacit and morsel.  I guess study skills have more practical application in life than the ability to correctly spell obscure words; that just wasn't the skill I expected to see showcased at this competition.  At least the cookies were good. :)

No comments: