Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Assessing Joy

When I picked Joy up from school today she said they'd had a writing assessment, and she lamented that she tried for an hour and couldn't come up with anything to write.  I was sympathetic until I saw what she had drawn on the back of her assessment paper.


She had spent most of the hour drawing a map of Queen of Everything Super Awesome Underwater World (QESAUW, for short).  No wonder she hadn't managed to compose even a topic sentence.


The substitute teacher let Joy take her assessment sheet home to work on it some more (technically, I don't think she was supposed to do that), and Joy put her time to good use . . . adding more buildings to her map with alliterative names like Zaney Zipporium and Cool Company.  I think we can deduce a few things about Joy from this little assessment, and they have nothing to do with her ability to compose a correctly structured paragraph.

No comments: