Sunday, March 1, 2015

Potty Training

If there was one aspect of parenting I could outsource, it would probably be potty training.  I've been meaning to start it with Anna for months, and kept putting it off for one reason or another.  I finally determined that February was going to be The Month When I Finally Start Potty Training Anna.  Of course, I waited until the last possible weekend, but I am proud to say that I have finally crossed the Rubicon and put underwear on our third-born.


It actually went better than I expected.  Phillip took a day off work yesterday to watch the other three kids while I gave Anna 100 percent of my attention.  She had lots of accidents yesterday morning, but by the afternoon things clicked and she started having lots of success.  In fact, after one of her trips to the bathroom I was so confident in her progress that I took a nap while she watched a Super Why! episode.  Today, Anna did even better.  I am really relieved that things are going so well.


I think it helped that we put two of Anna's favorite bears in undies, and let them model how to use the toilet.  It also helped to remind Anna that her favorite preschool buddy wears underwear and uses the toilet.  She's pretty excited to show him the stickers on her success chart.

2 comments:

Siobhan said...

I am totally with you on this aspect of parenting. It's the reason I will only ever get rescue dogs. So congratulations, mama! Another one down!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Eh, mostly down. I won't go into detail... :-/