Friday, December 13, 2013

Grandma's Memorial

My mom's dear mother passed away this month . . .


. . . so Todd and I traveled to Portland with my parents and brother Andrew for her memorial service.  It was wonderful to honor Grandma and hear about her rich life.


It was also great to spend time with my aunts, uncles, and Great Aunt Elizabeth (everyone lovingly called her "Naughty Betty" when I was a kid, and but she prefers "Elizabeth" now and I always have to remind myself that that is her real name).


On the way back to the airport, we stopped by Grandma's old house.  I visited it twice as a child, and I recall it being a place of good cheer and interesting new things to experience.  At winter time there were icicles on the eves, and Dad went ice fishing with Uncle John.  In summer I sampled rice candy (wrapped in paper you could eat!) and watched a spider fight with a wasp in Grandma's garden (I forget who won).  Any time of year, it was fun to see Grandma's little dachshunds, Heidi and Fritzy.  All these years later, dachshunds still make me think of her.

I love you, Grandma.  I'm sure you're excited to be in Heaven blessing others, since you loved to do that so much in this life.

2 comments:

Rachel Culmer said...

It's hard loosing grandparents. I'm sorry to hear of your Gma's passing. By the way, your mom looks classy in that photo, as usual. :)

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Yep - that's my mom. :)

Thank you for the condolences. Grandma had advanced Alzheimer's, so in a way we were happy for her to finally go home and be free of that. It will be harder to lose Grandma and Grandpa S, especially since we've spent so much time with them over the years.