Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Constant Gardener

A friend with an underutilized garden offered to share it with us this summer.

Here's how it looked in June.

Flash forward to August with a stand of corn, a tangle of melon vines, pumpkins, zucchini . . . basically all the things we don't have space for in pots outside our apartment.

This morning I harvested a jumbo zucchini for dinner. We also have discovered that one cucumber plant produces more cucs than we can consume. Anyone wanna take one or two off our hands?

My little container garden is doing pretty well, too. The tomato has been very productive, and we even got a few bell peppers.

My hardy thyme plant is putting out new growth, and it's nice to have green onions outside the door whenever I need them.

I think I need to weed the cactus. :/

3 comments:

Serena said...

Thats a good idea.

Connie H said...

Kimberly, what kind of tomatoes did you plant this year? Were you happy with them, they look productive.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

We tried Better Bush, and I've been very pleased with it. They seem a little sweet, but that has been my experience with other container-grown tomatoes in years past. Maybe it's because of the way I care for them, or perhaps it's just the nature of container tomatoes.