Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Constant Gardener

Huzzah! The new apartment owners said I could plant a vegetable garden in an unused planter in our complex.

Here Joy inspects the basil plants for nefarious, leaf-chomping caterpillars. We also have a habanero pepper plant (for Daddy), four bell peppers, two Roma tomatoes, a couple potato plants, and a few little onions.

And as always, we have a bunch of herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, among others) in some containers. The leafy arugula and the mysterious shoots in the circular pots belong to our Korean neighbors upstairs.

The owners did stipulate that they aren't liable if anyone helps themselves to my produce, so I've recruited some attack doves to keep an eye on things.

Of course, they may not have much to guard. These rogue lettuce plants that escaped my pot and grew virtually untended in the planter are doing much better than their buddies who stayed behind in the container. I guess Mother Nature knows a bit more about growing plants than I do.

1 comment:

Phillip said...

Hmmm...I wondered if those rogue lettuce plants were yours...