Thursday, April 6, 2023

What's in a Name?

Since our Barred Rocks are named Mary and Martha from the New Testament,
I decided to name our Cinnamon Queen chicks after
two heroines from the Old Testament: Abigail and Deborah.
As a bonus, their celebrity couple nickname is fun to say: Abby-Debbie!


Of course, my clever plan was promptly derailed by my kids,
who dubbed the new chicks "hairballs"
and gave them not two but THREE nicknames.


The kids thought the new chicks looked brown and sweet 
like Reese's peanut butter baking chips, 
so they nicknamed the one with the lighter face "Reesey" . . .


. . . and the one with the orange face "Chip."
To further complicate things, Joy prefers to call Chip "Peebs"
(a reference to character in a thoroughly delightful novel).

Speaking to my children about our new chicks
is a challenging mental exercise for me.
"Cinnamon Queens" is a mouthful to say,
but I can't bring myself to call them "hairballs"
(they don't even have hair!),
and I can never remember in the heat of the moment
which one is Peebs.
Thank goodness the chicks don't care if I call them the wrong name!

No comments: