Sunday, May 12, 2024

Nurturing Small Things

There's a cynical Mother's Day joke
that says moms only get one holiday each year,
and they have to work that day too.


Actually, Mother's Day has been pretty good the last few years.
My family cooks dinner so I don't have to,
and the men at church serve brunch to all of the women
while we listen to a nice message during Sunday school.
I also came home today with some chocolate . . . 


. . . and a golden sage plant . . .


. . . which I planted next to some rosemary
that looks a little worse for the wear after this past winter.
This year, I'll try cutting it back at the end of autumn
to help it weather the cold months better.
Because that's what moms do--
we nurture things that need love, and try to learn from our mistakes.


OK, kids.  Now play nice with the irises!


One last little heartwarming Mother's Day gift
was this cute painted rock Anna gave to me.
(I don't know who the artist was; Anna just said they wanted their rock 
to go to someone who would enjoy it.)
I think I'll put it beside the oregano near our kitchen window,
so I can see it every time I look out at my little bucket garden.
Thanks, Anna!

No comments: