Thursday, December 7, 2023

Flying to Yonkers

Our friend Spencer has loves to fly small planes,
and he recently invited Phillip and me to join him . . .


. . . on a short flight to and from New York City.


When we reached the Hudson River, 
we turned downstream and admired these cool basalt cliffs
as we headed toward New York City.
Centuries ago, these cliffs were a popular place for duels,
including one that ended rather badly for Alexander Hamilton.


Our plan was to fly past Manhattan and circle the Statue of Liberty,
then turn around and fly back to Massachusetts.
A local air traffic controller originally told us we had safe weather to fly in,
but somewhere around Yonkers the clouds turned darker
and we started getting some freezing rain . . .


. . . so we decided to play it safe and turn back north near the Empire State Building.
I was really disappointed that we didn't make it to Lady Liberty,
but I knew our pilot friend had made the right choice.


We stayed ahead of the rain on our flight home,
and landed safely back in the Bay State.


Our friend snapped a souvenir photo of us in front of the plane,
then I went home and spent the rest of the day on a couch
because I'd forgotten that flying makes me motion sick.
Note to self: Take Dramamine next time I climb aboard anything with wings,
whether it's a small plane, a jumbo jet, or a pterodactyl.

No comments: